IT'S MY NAPPIVERSARY!!!


Singing to my hair: "Do you know what today is? It's our anniversary!"

Yall remember that song "Anniversary" by Tony! Toni! Toné!, right? Well, this time last year (June 14, 2008) I made a big decision to cut off all the processed hair and become 100% Natural. (Left: picture of me after I got my big chop cut)

I was spending my summer in Rhode Island to work at school. There had been a huge heat wave that week in Providence. I was living in a third story room in a house with no air conditioner, which made it feel 10 degrees hotter than outside. After a week of sweating in the house, I had had enough!

At the time I was rocking a full sew-in and my head was burning up! So I took a huge leap and said "TO HECK WITH IT". Made a call to a nearby hair salon and told my beautician to cut it all off! I was going to live free from that point on.

After it was all said and done, I felt liberated and felt this love for myself that was stronger than before. And like that Destiny's Child song says, "Ain't no feeling like being free"! June 14th is very special to me. You may not understand it fully, but I made a choice that day to express myself freely, to not be conformed by society's standards, and to stop caring about what other folks thought of me.

Those same objectives are the reason I created this blog. June 14th will not only be my nappiversary, but the birth date of my blog. This blog will serve as a haven for my thoughts where others could read and view my journey through life. There are no specific topics I will focus on, just think of it as a LIFESTYLE blog!

I hope that through my words that a glimpse of my light will shine through and brighten up your world a little!

Below is a recent picture of my blossoming hair:

3 comments:

  1. you go, mama...i remember that heatwave last summer! and the look works for you very much. but you're still one of my favorites WHATEVER your hair is like!...

    x
    spb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your hair! I wish mine would grow fast!

    ReplyDelete